CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I came on as a general manager to my company last year. We

Customer Question

I came on as a general manager to my company last year. We have a second building and I wanted my employees to be able to clock in from their building instead of having to walk across. I found our time clock software we use in building 1 and installed it in the other building using the software key with no issues assuming I had multiple uses. I called tech support to assist in setup and they rudely informed me that I am not allowed to use the software on more than one computer and to do so is breaking the law. I immediately apologized and said that I didn't realize and would like to purchase an additional key code. She routed me to customer service but I decided to uninstall the program and table the whole idea of adding an additional time clock. Side note, the customer service initially told me I could install on computers within network but then said she was mistaken. Do I need to be worried about any legal repercussions or am I being paranoid? What do you recommend?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, based on what you have posted I do not believe there is anything that you need to be concerned about.

While many software companies are taking stronger enforcement measures on piracy or software theft, your situation (asking for assistance in expanding your licensing agreement, then deciding not to go through with the expansion) is not a case of piracy (unlicensed use of the software).