How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 18838
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe someone (actually I suspect a specific person)

Customer Question

I believe someone (actually I suspect a specific person) opened two email accounts using my name. I've suspected this for a long time but I'm just starting to have an idea as to the possible motive. I have an extremely unusual name. No one else in the world has my same combination of first and last name and that's what's being used in these accounts.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if this is actionable if I can prove that someone has set up email accounts in my name in order to write emails they claim are from me. My real name, not the name of the email I've submitted, here is very unusual. Also, I left the US in 2006 and have not been back. If two email accounts can be traced to the US then I can prove that I was not the one to set them up. Is it a crime for someone to do this? Is it actionable if not criminal?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

Merely using a name that is similar to yours is not actionable because different people can have exactly the same name. However, if you have concrete evidence that this person is impersonating you, then you can file criminal complaint against the person with the District AttorneyOffice of the County in the State where the person lives. You may also pursue civil action against the person if you have suffered damages as a result of this impersonation.

Related Legal Questions