Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am a parent. They are having me testify in court regarding

Customer Question

I am a foster parent. They are having me testify in court regarding my foster child. I am in a lesbian relationship and we are both on the foster license. My sexually has been brought up in court in the past. Is it against federal law for them to ask or
discuss my sexually in court?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is not illegal for them to question your sexual preference in court, but in order to do so they have to prove to the court it is relevant to the proceeding. They cannot just ask about you sexual preference for no specific reason, they have to state why it is relevant to the issues in the matter before the court. If they ask the question you can object to the question based on relevance and then the party asking the question would have to explain to the court why it relates to the matter being decided. If they cannot do that, the court should disallow the question.