Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

This was very stupid on my part, but I sent a naked picture

Customer Question

This was very stupid on my part, but I sent a naked picture to someone I met online. That was on Tuesday. Since then, she has contacted me every day demanding things and threatening to post my pics on Facebook and all over the Internet, tagging my relatives and friends.
Her demands started with signing up for some webcam sites. The next day she demanded $500 and said it would be over after that. We settled on $400 and I sent it via Moneygram to her boss in the Phillipines.
Now she is saying that it will be $2,000 to "get her out of her contract." I convinced her (I think and hope) that I'm broke and need some time to pay. I said I'd make payments over a couple months. The next one is $400 next Friday.
She is consistently harassing me via Skype and making demands. She just friend requested me on Facebook and is demanding my phone number. So far I've been able to keep her happy with Skype.
I've got the name she is using on Skype and on Facebook but I have no idea if it's her real name. She has consistently asked to meet me in person, so maybe there's an opportunity to confirm there.
Her boss had to show a photo ID to pick up the money in the Phillipines. I also had to contact Moneygram to tell them he is my brother in law.
I can do the $2,000 although it would hurt a lot, but I'm just not sure where it will end. With her boss in the Phillipines and not being sure of her real name, do I have any possible recourse?
If it gets too costly, I may be willing to try to shut down my Facebook account, defriend all relatives and hope that she can't make it too bad on me. Given the length of the legal process and the quickness of post photos on the internet, that's probably the only way I'd be able to use legal recourse.
By the way, I know this sounds horrible and creepy on my part and it is. Probably the dumbest thing I've ever done. Really hoping there's something I can do.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Aaron
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

These people are professionals and attempt this with dozens, if not hundreds of people a day. So if you pay them a single dime more, they will not give up...ever. They know that they have you scared and will continue to use this to blackmail you indefinitely. You will essentially be committing to making payments for the foreseeable future.

.

So the way to stop this is to simply cut it off right now...no more texts, emails, Skypes, etc. if you wanted to send a final communication to them stating that you had admitted this to your family and friends, you weren't paying them a single dime more, and you were filing a formal complaint with the IL Attorney General's Cybercrimes Unit, that might convince them to give up and move on to easier prey.

.

.

thanks