Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I am a non profit organization (501c3). I would like to add

Customer Question

I am a non profit organization (501c3). I would like to add another name for a separate project. Right now we are CM Box Car Racing. We do soap box racing free for children. We are now getting involved with special needs children doing soap box derby racing. The new cars are two seat, one of our drivers and one special needs child. We would like to keep them separate. Can this be done? Can we do a DBA as a non profit organization?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well. First off, congrats on the non-profit and the purpose behind it. That is a great idea.

As to the issue, you can have a subsidiary of the non-profit for your new model or idea. It can effectively be a "DBA", or you can call it, hypothetically, Box Car Racing With Purpose, a Subsidiary of CM Box Car Racing (in small font). Your board can control and effectively be the board member for the subsidiary. Moreover, you can use your tax ID to cross over and be used for the new entity. You can have separate by-laws and a separate operating agreement for the new entity and even employees that are exclusively assigned to the new entity.

Here is a link to an article that is somewhat on point (it is talking about a non-profit ability to take on or acquire another entity) but it covers a lot of the same issues:

http://www.thenonprofittimes.com/news-articles/the-subsidiary/

So, this can be done and it can function as a DBA, in essence, or subsidiary of the entity that is already recognized as a 501c3.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward!

Did you have any other questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!