Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Is it legal employer to call your doctor's office and demand

Customer Question

Is it legal for an employer to call your doctor's office and demand your medical records
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If not legal, what are my options? Can I sue?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

It would be illegal for your doctor to release your medical records.It would be an invasion of your medical and personal privacy for an employer to seek to obtain such records and for them to make use of them again without your permission.

You may want to pursue this with a lawyer.You can seek damages for the invasion or attempted invasion of your medical privacy.You have rights that were violated and certainly you can seek damages here for such an action.They would need your written permission here to seek such information and your doctor would have to have such a request to be able to legally release them under the HIPAA laws.

I am so sorry that you had this happen.You may want to pursue this.Your lawyer locally would send demand letter for a dollar amount fo damages and you sue them if they do not agree to resolve this matter.

You want a lawyer that does medical privacy suits.You can locate one here.You may be able to find one to take this contingent fee which means you do not pay unless there is recovery.

Iowa

Iowa State Bar Association LRS
Des Moines, IA

Phone:(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Statewide

I appreciate the chance to hep you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is sincerley appreciated.