Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My name is todd i have had a solar company install solar

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** have had a solar company install solar panels on my roof, but they never finished hooking them up to the grid so they would work. I called several times and no one returned my calls. I have not been charged anything yet, I was wondering if I have the right to tell them they can come and take all their equipment and solar panels etc, and not be charged anything?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

Did you sign a contract and, if so, does it have a completion date on it?

Can you give me a timeline on what has happened so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I signed an application for a loan for the panels, but I don't remember signing a contract not saying I didn't. My wife isn't home she would remember better. They did get a permit approved in may of this year 2015, for the work. They came in the middle of June and did the pre electrical work and installed the panels in the same day. They were waiting on the power company to finish changing out the electric meter they said to finish the work and would help through the process, a site manager called and said he would come by for the finish work. But when that day came he called to say the company was stopping all operations that day in saint petersburg and he said he wasn't sure why. After that I could not get a hold of the company or anyone I dealt with. Their office in saint peters burg I drove by and it was moved out of. I had one lady call me in middle of August saying she finally got my message I called her back that afternoon and she hasn't returned my calls. I finally got upset with the whole situation and sent the letter saying please come take everything back. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

It is a little more difficult if you don't have a contract with a specified date that they have failed to meet. When that happens then the court, in the event of a lawsuit, looks at whether the company was "reasonable" in their schedule. In my opinion you are right at the border of what time limit would be considered reasonable since it is about 4 months or so.

What I'd suggest is that you go to a local attorney and have them write a letter advising the company that their failure to timely complete the job and their failure to apprise you of the company's situation in St. Petersburg is a breach of the contract and therefore you are rescinding the contract. The lawyer can also give them a certain period of time in which they can remove the equipment or you will have it removed and sue them for the removal or, if you still want solar power, you can examine what you can do to keep the panels and have another company complete the installation.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.