Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I'm having a problem with the people that I rent from it's a

Customer Question

I'm having a problem with the people that I rent from it's a property management company in the last 3 months I've had to payout for late fees I can no longer pay online because it cost an extra 30 bucks I sent money orders 2 months ago which they say they didn't get so now I have to pay 15 bucks to stop payment on those and wait up to 30 days for that money I call these people everyday and leave a message and they won't return my calls can I do anything about this or not?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Paying on line should not cost you anything, unless they use something like Western Union, and that is normally $10. A $30 fee is outrageous. You can mail money orders certified mail for $6.00 or so, but you shouldn't have to do that either. You can manually deliver a personal check or snail mail it. Your bank is the best evidence of clearance, and that is done with a phone call. To answer your question though, there is nothing you can do to improve the landlord's performance and/or to compel them to return phone calls. If they filed eviction, the burden of proof would be on you to prove payment and you must have better proof that just your word that you mailed it. My multi-year history of dealing with landlords tells me that they virtually never fail to cash them upon receipt. Also, if they ever lose one after receiving it, which is also rare, the tenant will immediately be asked to replace it. If they know it was a money order, they'll pay the fee for the substitute money order when it's their fault.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.