Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

We suspect that our township's travel sports team members

Customer Question

We suspect that our township's travel sports team members are selected on the basis of favoritism rather than merit: i.e., players selected are children of board members, coaches, or parents who donated money. While it feels wrong, are they violating any laws? as residents of the township, do we have a right to know this information?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That very much depends. Is this team open to all to join? Is this a competitive team?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a competitive team. Tryouts are open, about 25 boys tryout and about 12-15 "make it". Most, if not all, are the sons of coaches and/or board members.

This team is ultimately private, which means that they are free to 'pick' kids whom they wish. Unless they discriminate based on race or other protected factors, they can indeed favor whomever they wish, much like a college or any other institution who has control over their admission. I do agree that it is wrong because the kids are being penalized, but it is not illegal. And as this is a private entity, you are not inherently privy to their admission criteria as parents or residents.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it truly private though if it is a team of our Township where we live? If it's funded with Township dollars, don't my tax dollars go toward supporting it?

You would need to see how this team is structured. If it is listed as a private entity, then regardless of where it gets the funds, it is still something where you have no automatic right to get information. Now, you can press the legislature to attach strings to the Township money and request a transparent review, but barring that condition the team does not have to disclose that information to you.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.