Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I borrow a car to my wife uncle and he is refusing to give

Customer Question

i borrow a car to my wife uncle and he is refusing to give me back my car.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Have you notified him that you are revoking his permission to borrow the car?.

.

What reason is he giving for refusing to return your vehicle?

.

Are you the only one on the title to the vehicle?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I borrow him the car for just a month. The car is salvation and was suppose to be ship out. I fix all the car. And also have all my receipt of the car and copy of the title. We agree last week for him to bring the car and for me to give him his 750$. He promise me and said to me that his wife would bring the car for me to give his wife the money. Now when I asked him when he is going to bring the car. He said to me he don't have the time and he for me to go and pick up the car. And I refuse because he is trying to set me up according to what the family are saying to me. This is what he do borrow someone property and try to hurt them to keep it for him self. So I refuse and beside I don't know what he did with the car.yes for my salvaget title I am the only one on it. And I have the copy of it and the receipt
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, in a situation like this, if you have told him that he is no longer allowed to have the vehicle, then you have a couple options here. You could tell him that you will file a stolen vehicle report if he doesn't return it and then allow the police to handle the matter. Or you could file suit against him where he lives for "conversion", which is the wrongful keeping of the personal property of another, and get a judge to order him to return the vehicle.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that what i want to do. a law suit against him. he live in virginia but working in Philadelphia PA
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then the only problem is that you would have to go to VA to file suit against him because you have to file it where he lives to get personal jurisdiction over him and force him to come to court.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no is no way to sue him in NYC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry. there is no way to sue him in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like to hire a attorney to deal with him
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately no, you have to sue him where he lives so you can force him to come to court. NY has no jurisdiction over him so as to compel him to come to NY to defend in court.

.

You could hire an attorney in VA to sue him there though.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would you recommed any attorney that i would hire
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

.

thanks