Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I sell puppies breeders because they can not use the

Customer Question

I sell puppies for Amish breeders because they can not use the internet and telephone. Several newspapers have discontinued my ads because they associate "Amish breeders" with puppy mills, although these breeders are USDA regulated and have valid licenses. Are they allowed to refuse MY ads, but allow other breeder's ads in their newspapers? If so, isn't that discriminating? Is there anything I can do about it?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Have they told you they will not accept ads from any Amish breeder because they are Amish?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not exactly in those words. They wouldn't give me a specific reason. One person I spoke to said it was because I was selling multiple litters of puppies. I asked if I wasn't permitted to sell multiple litters of puppies, and they replied "well, you look like a puppy mill."As far as I know, it is still legal to breed and sell puppies in the state of Ohio. Now, can they stop me from advertising them?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If they have a general policy against running ads on multiple litters and apply it across the board then it is not illegal. It becomes illegal if they refuse to take ads from a certain religious group solely because they belong to that religion.

If you can show that they are not applying their policy in a legal manner then you can sue them.

You may want to start with a letter from your attorney threatening litigation if they refuse to run your ads.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They do not have this specific policy, but state that they have the right to refuse service at any time without reason. Can they do that? Do they have to give me a reason why they aren't posting my ads?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

They can refuse your business provided it is not a civil rights violation, which it would be if they are refusing it because of the "Amish" association.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

That is why a threatening letter may cause them to back down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they have to give me a reason why they are refusing my business? Do you offer such letters?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

They would need to refute any charge of unlawful discrimination.

You would want a letter from a local attorney.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. That helps. Thank you so much!
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions before you rate my service?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Have I answered your question?