ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I went to the hospital and a nurse found methamphetamine on

Customer Question

i went to the hospital and a nurse found methamphetamine on me . They called the police and reported it and i was charged with a felon. Would this be considered under the HIPPA or privacy act law??
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, no, it would not be. First of all, the "privacy act" only applies to Federal governmental protections of information that it has on you, and binds only Federal governmental entities. Second, HIPAA only protects "protected health information" (PHI), and the possession of an illegal drug is not PHI. Now if the nurse disclosed other information about you not relevant to the possession of meth, such as that you were in there for a blood test, etc... that would be a HIPAA violation because that disclosure would be PHI. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say that this was not illegal.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Was there anything else?

Was there anything else? Again, If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.