Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If I have a certified/licensed massage therapist, am I able

Customer Question

Hi, If I have a certified/licensed massage therapist, am I able to offer massage therapy buy appointment in an available room in my wellness store or does the business itself have to have a special license?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have a licensed therapist, you can offer the services under that license anywhere, HOWEVER, you have to have the location certified and inspected by the Department of Health. Other than the health inspection, they can provide the therapy in your store.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
certified and inspected? how do I get information to have it certified and inspected?

Thank you for your reply.

You need to contact the health department and arrange for them to come out and inspect your premises where the massage will take place and they would issue a certificate of inspection if you pass inspection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank youThe department of health has many different offices and departments. I tried to find where to call and have not been successful.

Thank you for your reply.

The NY Division of Salons and Spas can direct you as to which inspection is required, See: http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/guides/guidetosalons.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you... still trying to find the right person to speak to.

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry, it is NY after all and we cannot make people answer the phone for you I am afraid. We do not work for the NY Government so, I'm sorry they are not speaking to you or helping you. If they are not helping ask for a supervisor, because they know the answer, they just care to not help.