Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in Los Angeles Ca. Briefly - I was locked out of my

Customer Question

Good morning..I live in Los Angeles Ca. Briefly - I was locked out of my home (door closed not landlord dispute) called a locksmith, strangers came destroyed lock chaarged me over $1000 said dwould be back with correct new lock, finally came at 11:30PM that night demanding entry to fix lock, presented me with another bill over $2000 I refused to pay he threatened to hurt me if I did not. Finally gave them my M/C. Filed dispute with Citibank they refused to accept it said I was responsible due to the little yellow charge slip terms. In Ca it is illegal for a locksmith to do aanything over $500 without a contractors license but more importantly I am 71 years old and handicpped. I want to sue them for elder abuse, etc., Can you help?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This can be not only financial abuse of the elderly, but theft by fraud as well and you need to first file a complaint to the Police and DA that they charged you and damaged the lock then they wanted to charge you more to fix it after you paid them to damage the lock.

The locksmith must be licensed with the CA Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, which is where you can file a complaint as well: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/locksmith_fact.shtml

If the police tell you this is a civil matter, then you need to contact Adult Protection Services and the CA Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit and file a complaint. Most times they can resolve these issues with companies, but if they cannot do so, your final recourse is you would have to file suit in court, small claims, which you can do without an attorney for breach of contract, misrepresentation and unfair and deceptive practices and you can seek up to triple damage (the small claims maximum is $10,000, so you can do this in small claims without an attorney) for their conduct.