Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

While staying at a resort in Williamsburg, VA, I was bitten

Customer Question

While staying at a resort in Williamsburg, VA, I was bitten over 150 times by bed bugs in the bedroom of the unit I was in. I have pictures of my bites, exterminator sent and an apology letter from resort management? How much can I possible sue for the agony, pain and suffering in incurred during and after this stay. Meds, emergency rooms, specialists, etc.?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The owner of the premises is liable for the condition of the premises being habitable in VA. If the premises was not habitable and injury occurred, the victim is entitled to payment for any medical expenses from the bites and pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is generally calculated as 1-3 times the total actual damages you incurred (medical/lost wages/other direct costs like cost of the room and vacation). So you need to add up all of your total actual losses you can prove and then multiply that by anywhere from 1-3 times that amount to come up with your pain and suffering amount which is due on top of the total actual costs.