LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

1. I have enormous medical bills from 3 days in the hospital

Customer Question

1. I have enormous medical bills from 3 days in the hospital in Nashville, TN.
2. One creditor waived my bill due to poverty. ($490)
3. One creditor reduced my bill and gave me a $5.00/month payment plan. ($456.35 reduced to $365.08).
4. The hospital is in the process of reviewing my file for consideration for charity (more than $7,000).
Problem: The final one reduced my bill from $720.00 to $360.00 and wants me to pay half on Sept. 28 and half on Oct. 9. If I don't they say they will take me to court.
My friend say if I send them $5.00/mo. they can't take me to court.
Is this true?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. I am sorry to say but it is not true. They have no legal obligation to accept a $5 payment and they can demand half on the 28th and half on the 9th. They do not have to discount the bill or work with you. Now, you can respond to them and make a counter offer, to settle but if they do not want to accept this, then they can file suit for the bills and go after you and collect. I know it is not what you were hoping to hear but sending them $5 does not stop a lawsuit. Of course, you can try and it, as you have nothing to lose but do not be surprised if they do not cash it and accept it and proceed with the lawsuit.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!