How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7088
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy in which I surrendered

Customer Question

I went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy in which I surrendered my home in Overland Park, KS. I have since moved to Memphis, Tn. I understood that foreclosure was coming, but in the legal documentation it is stated that I'm responsible for any cost associated with the resale of the property. Is this legal/
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

A bankruptcy discharge provides a defense to any lawsuit based on the mortgage debt. I'm not sure what is meant by "legal documentation", or the exact language that you are reading, but if it is part of the foreclosure complaint, a copy of the bankruptcy discharge document should be sent to the attorneys who filed the foreclosure suit.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.