Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy in which I surrendered

Customer Question

I went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy in which I surrendered my home in Overland Park, KS. I have since moved to Memphis, Tn. I understood that foreclosure was coming, but in the legal documentation it is stated that I'm responsible for any cost associated with the resale of the property. Is this legal/
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

A bankruptcy discharge provides a defense to any lawsuit based on the mortgage debt. I'm not sure what is meant by "legal documentation", or the exact language that you are reading, but if it is part of the foreclosure complaint, a copy of the bankruptcy discharge document should be sent to the attorneys who filed the foreclosure suit.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.