Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My ex - husband threatened my life, forged the papers, took

Customer Question

my ex - husband threatened my life, forged the papers, took my oney out of me, left me disabled mentally & which affected me physically, stealing my identity, buying my name out, opening email accounts that i haven't, please help me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please help me out, he is a wealthy man and i can't stand a fight alone, the more i look the more i find that he is trying to hurt me, please help me
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

These are criminal offenses. Have you been to the police about this? If not, why not. A lawyer would not be of much help here, unless you are looking to bring this matter back into Family Court. The most effective way to get him stopped is to involve the authorities. And, of course, if he is wealthy but you have limited financial means, the DA would prosecute the matter for free and you would not need to hire your own lawyer.

You can go to the police, report the crimes of your ex husband, tell the police you are fearful for your safety, would like a criminal restraining order and want your ex prosecuted. If what you have to tell them and show them gives them a reasonable belief that you could be in danger and that he may have committed criminal acts against you, they will turn the file over to the DA's Office for prosecution and arrest your husband. You'll get a protective order as well, which means he will have to leave you alone or face additional charges.

If you just want an order of protection but don't want him to face criminal charges, you could get an order against your ex by going to civil court. This way too, if he violates the order, he could end up in jail facing criminal issues. You could read more about this and learn what you have to do to get one here.