Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Who has legal rights to a dog during a break up? It was

Customer Question

Who has legal rights to a dog during a break up? It was technically a gift to my ex boyfriend but the dog is in my name all vet groomer and other bills are in my name. I have been the primary caregiver and am with the dog 7 days a week. Ex boyfriend works out of town 5-6 days a week.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unfortunately, the courts treat pets as property. This means that if you acknowledge that the dog was a gift to your boyfriend or he can prove that it was a gift through letters, cards, or witness testimony, then the courts will view the dog as his, notwithstanding all the things you have done.

But if you can show that it was always yours, or that he gave it back to you, or that it was jointly yours and his, the courts may side with you. You can use all the things that you have described as evidence supporting that the dog is in fact yours. This is especially so if you have registration papares that names you as the dogs owner.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.