Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I have been married 19 years we live in the same home the

Customer Question

I have been married 19 years we live in the same home the land and bills are all in my name. The boat I helped pay for and the Trike and the impaula are in his name he tells the insurance and bank we are seperated and we are not. do I have any rights to any thing He is on ssi I work
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Was the home and the land in your name since before you got married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the home was land was purchesed under my name it has never been in his name he has barley ever worked. i pay the taxes not him because its in my name i know oklahoma is a shair property state but does he get it all and the land too he did not go on ssi till after marrage and he wrights a 100 dollar check to pay half the electric bill thats it every thing else is on me
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Oklahoma law says that equitable division does not necessarily mean 50/50; rather, it just means that the division of property has to be “just and reasonable.” This means that the court can give you more than half of the marital property if the judge believes that division is fair.

Separate property is that which was acquired before the marriage, inherited, or received as a personal gift. Marital property is everything else acquired during the marriage, without regard to whose name is ***** ***** title.

So, here there are no hard and fact rules as the judge has discretion to divide the property based on what each party needs as way to meet basic day to day needs AND based on what each spouse contributed to the marriage.

If you can show that most of these assets were bought with your earinings, then that will go a long way in helping you get a fair distribution.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.