Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I'm asking in question to the sorp. SORP was enacted in

Customer Question

I'm asking in question to the sorp. SORP was enacted in 1993.Mandating a person to register for life if convicted of a sex offense; 2d sexual assault at the time of my conviction was 15 years after release, but while I was incarcerated it was changed to lifetime. Is there any ex post facto matters of concern in which I've been exposed to.my conviction was in 1992.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SORP, is sex offender registration program
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The ex post facto clause of the U.S. Constitution says that a person cannot be charged with behavior that was not criminal when it occurred. So, if I smoked a cigarette today, and they were outlawed tomorrow, I couldn't be charged with a crime for smoking. Sex offender registration laws, however, have been consistently upheld by the courts as civil requirements, not criminal statutes. You couldn't be arrested and convicted for failing to register during a time when the law didn't require you to register. But if the registration period is extended while you are required to register, you unfortunately do have to follow the new requirements. All of these laws were attacked on ex post facto and double jeopardy grounds when they first started to pop up, and none of those arguments were ultimately successful.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

To avoid confusion and ensure that I am able to answer all your questions, please respond on this page instead of opening a new question with responses.

The $10 fee unfortunately does not have any bearing on whether the law is legal. However, you may want to look into whether the county has any sort of fee waivers for those who do not have $10 to pay.