Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How many people in Oregon are loosing their licenses simply

Customer Question

How many people in Oregon are loosing their licenses simply because they do not or cannot get a birth certificate? And shouldn't the people driving for years legally with a license and insurance before this new law came about be grand fathered in? Thank You, Timm
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."

First of all, there is no "grandfather statute" for driver license. So saying "shouldn't he be..." of course makes sense, but it does not make it lawful. Oregon simply has no such statute, and a person cannot demand a license simply by saying "well I have been driving all this time..."

Second, Oregon has strict requirements for driver license in regards ***** ***** identification. See HERE. Since the tragedy of 9/11, all states have "tightened up" their identification requirements to be able to issue a driver license. While it does allow for "substitute" documentation if he does not have his birth certificate for example (see link), the requirements are still fairly strict.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.