Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I rec'd a check from my insurance company cost (6000.00). My

Customer Question

i rec'd a check from my insurance company for hospital cost (6000.00). My mom passed away and i used the money. Now they want it. I heard that you can write something on the bill stating that I cannot pay, and they absorb the bill??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that if you did take the insurance check and spent it on something other than the medical bills, they can pursue you for insurance fraud for doing so. You can "write something on the bill" is not true. You can call them and you can try to negotiate payment, but if you received payment from the insurer, the hospital will notify the insurance company and the insurer can come after you for insurance fraud and the hospital will hold you liable for that bill I am sorry to say.