Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

What legal document can be obtained regarding, How to avoid

Customer Question

What legal document can be obtained regarding , How to avoid a person moving into ones home and then it becoming a "Squatters Rights" ?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

There is no such "legal document". What is the actual situation that you are seeking information about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've bought a home here in California and a reporting lawyer on KTLA, channel 5, advised viewers that it would be a wise idea to obtain a document,( i forgot the name of the document) in case the gentleman in question would claim Common Law (which is not legal in the state of California) or Squatters Rights. Can you provide me with the name of such a document?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Squatter's rights" is the common term for what is known in the law as Adverse Possession. If you leave your home vacant and someone moves in and occupies it against your wishes for a period of five years you could lose title to it. I think that you heard only a fragment of what the TV lawyer said. The only "document" that can avoid a claim of adverse possession, is a lease with the occupant. A tenant under a lease can never hold adverse possession against the owner. Take a look at this for CA law of Adverse Possession. http://statelaws.findlaw.com/california-law/california-adverse-possession-laws.html
I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.