CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I might have a possible dispute that may need resolution in

Customer Question

I might have a possible dispute that may need resolution in the court of law. I live in the state of North Carolina, but the business I might have a possible dispute with is located in Georgia. If the cases leads me to seek an attorney, which state would I seek legal counsel within; North Carolina or Georgia. I understand that lawyers are sometimes/ and sometimes not designated to their state of practice. Please contact me back with an answer to the best of your knowledge.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

It depends.

If your dispute regards conduct (breach of contract or tort) that occurred in North Carolina, you can retain a North Carolina attorney, and sue the GA Company in NC. (The NC Court will have personal jurisdiction over the company as their conduct occurred in that state).

However, if the dispute regards ***** ***** the state of GA, and the defendant is located in GA, you will want a Georgia licensed attorney. They do not necessarily have to live in GA (although as a practical matter, it makes good sense to hire an attorney that is local to the court where the action will be filed), but they do need to be licensed there.

You can find where attorneys are licensed using the state Bar Association directories:

North Carolina: http://www.ncbar.com/

Georgia: http://www.gabar.org/

You can find civil litigation attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).