CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was involved in a minor collision today. We stopped on the

Customer Question

Hi i was involved in a minor collision today. We stopped on the side of the road, it was minor damage to the license plate of the other driver. No injuries or anything. I didn't think properly at the time and just settled for $100 instead of reporting / calling the authorities etc. We didn't even exchange information with each other. I came back and made an incident report and initiated claims.
I thought i was in the wrong there in a right of way situation, i was turning left, the other driver was coming straight. I didn't think of any other possibilities about the other driver.
Legally, should i be worried now, is there anything i could do or have to do now to make this better ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and this is in Dallas, Texas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this be in my driving record ? Can the other driver come back and say he has bigger damage and file a hit and run or something ? Some scenario where this could potentially end badly.
And also, this is a rental car. I'm ok with paying some money but i don't want this to end up in some permanent record somewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other driver doesn't know any of my personal details but it is possible she has my license plate number because we stopped on the side of the road and chatted for some time.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I'm not sure what you want me to say here.

In TX you are supposed to report all accidents. (see: https://myhoustoninjuryattorneys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/How-to-Report-a-Car-Accident-in-Texas.pdf?d1914c), which you failed to do.

You can report it now, but reporting it will create your "permanent record" that you are worried about. (Not only do you have an accident in which you believe you were at fault, but you also left the scene of an accident without reporting it, and have no information for the other party).

I cannot advise you one way or the other what to do (we can provide "general legal information" but cannot provide formal legal advice or instruction - we do not have an attorney/client relationship).

Your options are:

• Call the Houston PD and report the accident with as much information as you have. You may be cited.
  • Ignore the incident and hope that nothing further occurs.

It is unlikely that the other driver will return and claim greater damages - if they did they would have to prove the injuries/damages in order to prevail (plus, they failed to report the accident as well, the reporting obligation is on both drivers).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what does it mean to be cited ? What is the worst case scenario for my situation ?

You would get a traffic citation, end up owing a fine, and get "points" on your driver's license.

Please keep in mind, this is general information only I couldn't tell you what exactly to expect (i.e. what citation/what fine/what points, or be able to confirm that this is the complete extent of the matter), I don't have all of your facts in front of me, and we are not permitted to provide formal advice (you will need to speak with a local attorney for that kind of advice). You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).