Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Question, I sold half of my house to my sister in 1995 joint

Customer Question

Question, I sold half of my house to my sister in 1995 joint tenencia with right of survivorship, she marie in 2003 does her husband have legal claimed to our property?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Since she owned this prior to her marriage, it would be her sole and separate property and her husband would have no legal claim to your sister's interest in the property. BUT, if your sister does something to change her ownership interest...such as adding her husband to the deed, that would sever the joint tenancy aspect of your ownership and convert it to one of tenants in common. The result would be that rather than the survivor of you and your sister automatically inheriting the property, upon the death of either of you, your interest would be controlled by your wills (or the intestate succession statute if you had no will).

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!