Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I sold a dog on 7/24/15, yesterday the buyer contacted me to

Customer Question

I sold a dog on 7/24/15, yesterday the buyer contacted me to let me know that the dog I sold her has a tumor and was born with it. I was not aware the dog was born with a tumor. Do I have to refund her money?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Was the dog sold with any type of warranty or is there any record that can show that you were aware that you had knowledge about this condition prior to sale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did not provide them with a warranty and I was not aware that he had that condition. The only thing I told the buyer is that the dog comes with first round of vaccines, dewormed, and ckc papers. Yesterday was the first time I knew something was wrong with the dog.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, pets are treated under the law as chatels / merchandise and if the item / dog is sold without any written warranty and the seller did not make a material misrepresentation about condition of the dog, in order to induce sale, than generally, there is no legal obligation to provide a refund to the buyer, based on discovery of the congenital condition, since the buyer also had a chance to conduct his/her due diligence and could have had the dog fully examined by a local veterinarian, prior to the purchase.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.