LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

At my interview, my future employer liked one piece of work

Customer Question

At my interview, my future employer liked one piece of work I did before and wanted to bring it to market. My work was only proof of concept. How do I protect it if I want him to bring it to market.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because your proof of concept is almost certainly not ready for you to file for a provisional patent, the only way to protect your idea would be to enter into a contract with your future employer that sets out the respective rights and obligations of one another to the project as it is being finalized in development and placed into the market stream.

You will probably want a local business law attorney or even a patent law attorney to draft up a contractual agreement that you and your new employer can live with. This is not something that should attempt on your own, or to allow your employer to draft without you seeking outside legal advice regarding the written agreement.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug