Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I want to copyright a manuscript. I has 22,880 words. What

Customer Question

I want to copyright a manuscript. I has 22,880 words. What are the combined fee; filing and legal fee, for this? How do we start the procedure? Once we started and everything is in action, I have a few more questions.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what legal zoom charges to file for a copyright on your manuscript. That said, it is quite easy for you to file the manuscript yourself on the US Copyright website via their on-line filing system. You first need to register with them by providing some contact information, email, etc. You will be provided with a user name and password. You may then proceed to file yourself. All you need is a digital copy of your manuscript (preferably pdf).

They actually walk you through the process of filing, which takes about 20 minutes. You pay the filing fee (~$30) and then you submit your work for copyright recognition. They will normally notify you within about 6 months that your copyright has been granted.

So, the combined fee if you do it yourself is about $30. It is very easy to do as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively.

Best wishes going forward!