Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I'm hoping you can help me. I just broke a relationship with

Customer Question

Hi there! I'm hoping you can help me. I just broke a relationship with a very verbally abusive, alcoholic man today on 9-11-15. I was gifted an expensive watch by him and an Opal ring a few months ago. Not for a birthday or a holiday just a random day. He drove to the jewelry store and he bought a piece of jewelry for himself, as well. I am estimating the cost was around 1200.00 for my two items. He is demanding them back from me ASAP, or he is pressing charges. He also is stating that he will say that I went into his apartment (where I resided but moved out months ago and I'm still on the lease and still have a key ) and stole them.
Aren't the items considered as gifts? Do I legally have to return the items to him? I need to know ASAP because he is very unstable. I tried to get a restraining order on him when I moved out, but was denied. Can you please contact me as soon as possible? I feel that I deserve to keep them. They were gifted to me. I'm not sure how you will be contacting me, but my number is(###) ###-#### ***** my email is***@******.***.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Aren't the items considered as gifts?

.

Yes, and he is out of luck in trying to force you to give them back if you choose not to. Once a gift is given, the transaction is completed and ownership transfers to the recipient of the gift. So they are your items as soon as he gave them to you.

.

If he tried to call the police and say you stole them, they will tell him that this is a civil matter and he needs to take it up in civil court. If he tried to sue you, a judge should clearly see that these were gifts and throw the case out.

.

.

thanks