Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I just realized that 12 years stature of limitation is

Customer Question

I just realized that 12 years stature of limitation is written in my lease contract. I guess that means there is nothing I can do about it. They say I had a breach of contract and I canon prove the opposite. thanks, Jeni
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Even if they had this alleged 12 year limitation in your contract, this does not mean you cannot challenge them. Your basis for your challenge is the equitable doctrine of laches, which states that even though they may have had a right to sue, by failing to exercise that right in a reasonable time, their delay has caused you extreme prejudice in that witnesses have been lost and evidence needed to prove your case was lost as well since it has been well beyond a reasonable time when a person would keep such documentation. It does not mean your case is sunk, it just means you would have a harder argument to win your case against them.