Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I ordered storm door & interior door from Ia Lumber &

Customer Question

I ordered storm door & interior door from Ia Lumber & construction on 7-29-15 to on 8-31-15 Scott was sent out to install doors He took took out the old door jam that had nothing wrong with it& put an old yellow doorjam & the new storm door on. & the interior door had a big chunk out of it on the side that closes. & had painted the inside of the door & the paint smell was so strong I could hardly breath as I am on oxygen & any kind of fumes causes my breathing to be worse I payed 600 dollars down & gave Scott a check for 600 dollars which was the balance that I owed. I did not look at it Until the next morning after it had rained all night & when I opened the door water was every where So I put a stop payment on on the 600 dollar remaining balance, called salesman He came out & looked & a new interior sent out with a 75 year old man That said he worked for the company for twenty years. he installed new interior door & then worked on the storm door.I told him where it was not fitting & could see outside all around the door & bottom of door. he was sticking foam rubber pieces around the door He finally left & told me he was 99.9percent that the door would never leak. last night 9-10-15 when my Daughter came over after work & washed the window on storm door & rinsed the outside with the garden hose.water came in again all over. had a message from iowa lumber on 9-9-15 to send them a certified check or I could pay with a credit card for the 600 dollars that I owed them. called back on 9-10-15 & left a message to call me because the door was leaking bad. so far no call from them. & also called salesman Gary Bierma & told him & he told me that it was not them but the door manufactured co.. I need to know if I have to pay the remaining balance before they fix the door problem. If so I will , I don't want them to ruin my credit!it seems like they are making me out to be the bad guy & I'm not. what should I do?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest that you contact the manager at the Lumber company and tell them that they did not do the work correctly. That you have provided them opportunity to correct the problem and therefore, you do not feel you are obligated to pay for the work because it has never been done correctly. I suggest you take photos and hopefully you have photos of the first time the door was installed where the contractor took out the door jam unnecessarily. I suggest you tell them you need an expert to come out and look at the work, and that if you pay so you can keep this matter from going to collections, you will be suing them not only for the total amount of the purchase and installation, but also for your fees in regard to that suit.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you