Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

How can I get my payroll check from an employer in New

Customer Question

How can I get my payroll check from an employer in New Albany, In, while working as a 1099 in Boydton Virginia?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If you were/are a 1099 independent contractor, and have not been paid I suggest you will need to bring the matter to court. Depending on the amount you could sue on your own in Small Claims court.

I suggest you first will want to write him a letter making a demand for immediate payment.

The letter can simply say

This is a demand for my wages earned from date to date. If payment is not made immediately upon receipt of this letter, I will have no other option but to bring the matter to court. If I need to take that route, I will also request that you be responsible for any and all legal fees in this regard as you are unwilling to pay me.

Mail that letter certified with a return receipt requested

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You will sue in the county and state in which the employer is located and you can get the forms to file from the clerk of the court in that county and state.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Generally, however, once the demand letter is sent payment is made because no one likes to go to court. However, if payment is not made once you get notice the letter has been received, then you file the claim.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you