Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My car was totaled when a lady ran through a yield sign I

Customer Question

my car was totaled when a lady ran through a yield sign I was compensated for injuries and my car was paid off, but I am without a car and all the money I spent paying on the car. Am I legally entitled to a car or the money I spent into the car?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, you are entitled to seek enough compensation to cover injuries, both personal and property, that you were exposed to if the accident did not occur. But you are not entitled to more. By that I mean that if your car is worth $3,000 (for example), and you spent $10,000 on payments, you are entitled to just $3,000 as that is the value of the vehicle, and not what you paid down on it.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.