Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Can text messages be used in small claims court in Covington

Customer Question

Can text messages be used in small claims court in Covington county Alabama
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A statement made by the opposing party is exempt from the hearsay rule. That means, if you're suing me, and I've sent you text messages, those messages can be used against me in court. Your messages TO me can only be used to put my messages to you in context. If you texted him repeatedly and he did not reply, those texts usually are not evidence unless you can convince the judge that his silence means he agrees with what you're saying.

The best way to introduce text messages into evidence is to get certified copies from the cell phone company, if you can. That requires a subpoena, which you can get from the clerk of the court. That way, you get a printout of all the texts and don't have to worry about your phone breaking or the battery dying at an inopportune moment.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.