Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My car was t by a motorcycle. driver was not owner. her

Customer Question

my car was hit by a motorcycle. driver was not owner. her mother is the legal owner. they had no insurance and my insurance was canceled because it was inoperable. my car is fixed now and insured. the person driving the motorcycle did 1111.00 in damages using used parts. my car was parked in my apt. complex in the handicaped space where I always keep it. my question is. is the legal owner responsible?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the legal owner of the vehicle/bike is responsible at law for any operation of their vehicle that they either knew or should have known was taking place. In situations like this one, however, you should sue both of them in small claims court. It is likely the court will order them both to pay for the damages and let them decide who pays what. If either of them fail to pay, you can then attach a lien to either of their property and execute the lien, liquidating the property and getting your money. You can alternatively seek to garnish their wages if they do not pay on the judgment. So, I urge you to sue both of them in one law suit in small claims court.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please rate my answer positively as well.

Best wishes going forward!

I hope all is well today. Just checking to see if you had any additional questions or comments on this matter. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks