Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Utah Law. I am a senior over 80. Utah law requires over &

Customer Question

Utah Law. I am a senior over 80. Utah law requires over & above to take driving tests.
I have lived here only 3-1/2 years. I wasn't 80 when I got my first Utah license . No problems. But when I turned 80 I had to undergo another computer exam, answering the same questions on a computer. One had choices. This time I had to take a driving test and listen to the clerk who sat next to me checking off each and every error. It was very unnerving. The end result was having my driving privileges taken away altogether for 6 months. I was then able to take just thedriving test, and I thought I had done pretty well. They even came out to my home. They conferenced over it all for about 15 minutes before their decision to give me a license, but it had restrictions.
No night driving, no interstate driving, limit of distance from home 2 MILES!. Since that time they periodically sent me a medical form to be filled out by my MD. The 1st one had no problems mentioned. Just one medical column for my diabetes. No problems there. This time I got a form like the others (which I am obligated to send to my MD for comment. This time there were 3 medical columns to be evaluated, 2 of which were new. Learning memory, and Psychiatric or Emotional condition. These new columns were added by the DL office based on the MD's written comments added to the form. These were loss of memory, poor insight & tends to be manipulative. I have to send this form back to the DL office before the 24 of this month. Earlier this year, I had a colonoscopy because my previous MD in FL notified me that I had had some polyps removed. I suspect that My MD's "nose it out of joint" over my initiative to have the colonoscopy. Sh had told me earlier that it too dangerous for over 80's.
My church pastor I consulted yesterday says I should meet with my MD and find out why she wrote those criticisms. (That will not remove the comments.)About 2 weeks ago, I wrote to her Hosp. division administrator, telling him of my quandary. (no reply) Local attorney's fees are out of my income range and I am"between a rock and a hard place" as they say. I have to send that form in as is. I can change MD's., but my driver's license will be amended to incorporate my current MD's comments. but I may not be able to drive legally. What do I do now? Chances of getting my MD to redo the form are next to "0". I can change MD's, but this business will follow me what ever I do or whom I choose as a new MD. I am beginning to feel as if I am in a 3rd world state. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE I CAN LIVE WITH. Thank You.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had an idea. Would it be a good idea if an attorney contacted my MD and told her that she needs to get a new form and fill it out honestly, without the derogatory comments. This could be written in a legal sense, so that maybe she'd feel if she didn't she might get sued for falsifying information....and that's what it is. At my age, of course I have a few "memory lapses", such as the time of day at any moment, or the day of the week ( as they all seem the same, sometimes, at my age, but I haven't forgotten all the up to date driving rules. In fact I feel I'm a better driver now than before the first test I had to take. This was the first time I had to take a driving test since I graduated from high school in 1949. I've even driven the Autoban in Germany when I lived there for 4 years in the late 1980's. Never had any tickets there, despite their stringent way of catching drivers by overhead cameras all over a city. I came home to live In Florida with my spouse. HE developed Alzheimers in the late 80's and passed away 7 years ago. I need to get a normal license, not one with all the conditions they have already added, such as "no driving on the Intersate".. That's o.k. because it's always too crowded. No driving at night, 2 mile radius from home, (how limiting is that in a big city.) This form I mentioned with all the derogatory comments on it also had a comment from the MD that I need to take driving tests every 6 months. Talk about discrimination! I've come to believe that the Utah Drivers' license division has a goal to reduce traffic in the city that has mushroomed since the Winter Olympics have add to the population here. They've even had to widen the Interstate to accommodate the resulting auto traffic. I try to avoid driving after 3PM when all the roads are covered with folks going home from work. If I could move back to Florida where I didn't have to put up with all this "shit", excuse me, I would. But I have 2 grown sons here that I depend on mainly to fix my computer when needed and any other domestic problems.They also had to drive me around the first time I had my license taken away....yes this happened about a year ago. The former manager here would vouch for my integrity, if need be. His name is***** has a new position within the company that owns the apt. complex that I live in. I know he would vouch for me if need be. Please give me some good news that will solve this conundrum. Thank you.Jack Huff
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that what you are hoping for and what you are asking for, "something you can use" and "good news" is not something we will have for you on this situation. If you would like the honest appraisal of your situation, we would be glad to give it to you, but it is not going to be what you want to hear from what I read above. If you want that fine, but if not, you do not rate anything here and just contact customer service at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help and you can get your money back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am disappointed that you have no suggestions for me to make this problem go away? or other. Coincidentally the Drivers Office sent me another blank form that arrived today. It had a cover letter dated the same as the one received earlier.So I will have to start over by sending it to my MD. I may just take it in myself rather than mail it to her and point blank ask her why she wrote such comments about my supposed health problems when they were never discussed with me, her patient..Maybe this 2nd form is a blessing in disguise. I will have to muster all the "courage" I can to do this. Inasmuch as your lawyers were unable to resolve this problem for me, or make any suggestions. I will appreciate a credit to my American Express Account. I will log onto the address given above to do so. I am disappointed nothing could be suggested to help me with my problem. But I do understand.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand you are disappointed, but would you prefer I make something up just to make you feel good or would you prefer the honest truth about your situation?

There is a process here it you want to know it, but it is not guaranteed and it is not either of the things you said you wanted out of this exchange. I can tell you the process you have to engage in, but I cannot give you "advice you can live with" that is "good news to make this go away."

I never said I had no news, like I said, there is a process for you to engage in, but I was not going to tell that to you and waste our time unless you understood that up front and agreed.