LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

While an intern with a local government my married boss made

Customer Question

While an intern with a local government my married boss made advances towards me and we ended up being sexually involved. It was the most stressful experience of my entire life and I still carry a lot of guilt for my decisions during that time. Now a couple years later my boss is in the process of getting a no-fault divorce from his wife to be with another woman he cheated on his wife with based on rumors. Part of me wants to speak out as a witness for the wife who has now been seriously wronged but i'm worried it will end up ruining my career. I would welcome any advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Quite simply, you have nothing to gain by speaking out. If you simply want to tell the wife that you are a previous paramour that is one thing---however, that admission might well result in negative consequences if you happen to be working for the same government agency, and I would strongly counsel that you leave well enough alone.

You can presume that his wife has knowledge of the present affair and were she able and interested in filing for a fault divorce she would. Your coming forward would not benefit her any and would likely just cause additional angst and bad feelings. Notifying her of your indiscretions could seriously jeopardize your present position, and for that reason you should probably not disclose this to her.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug