Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Have a sister who is living with me and things is not

Customer Question

Have a sister who is living with me and things is not working out she have hiv with a daughter and is not working mean while I am a recovering from prostate cancer and 2 blood clots since 3 years ago I also have been diagnose with ADD and I am working. My sister is very jealous and is trying to take over my apt and I want to change get rid of my 3 bedroom apt to a one room apt but my problem I don't want to put her out. But I may have too because things is not working out now welfare is paying her part of the rent. Now management in my building wants me to have her sign a paper stating that she have move in order for me to do a transfer of apt. I also don't want no problems with welfare when I decide to put her out of my apt. Now the problem is that my sister might not want to sign this paper so I can do a transfer I want to know can I put a freeze on her welfare checks making her have to sign this paper for management and for me to do a apt transfer
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You cannot put a freeze on her check.

You can tell her that you are moving to one-bedroom apartment and she needs to move out.

You can also get the cooperation of the management to assist you by giving both of you 30-day notice to vacate the premises. You can then vacate and move in to the one-bedroom apartment. If she remains in the apartment after the expiration of the 30-day notice, then the management can file eviction action against her.