Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I own a small motel in Nevada (9 rooms). I recently had a

Customer Question

I own a small motel in Nevada (9 rooms). I recently had a man reserve five of the rooms for three nights. He cancelled all but one room two days before check-in. He then did not show up for the one room he kept. He did however send a party to stay in the room but only for two nights. This was a busy weekend. I turned down over a hundred requests for rooms. I did take down the names of some of the people who wished to be put on a list in the event we had some cancellations. I spent hours calling the people on these lists. I was able to fill many of the rooms but at a discounted rate. The room that he sent people in to take went from the agreed upon three nights to two nights. That was a $69.00 loss. The cancellation fee is $15.00 per room night which equals $180.00. He was charged a total of $207.00 as it is left to my discretion and I wanted to cut him some slack. Now he is angry and says he is going to have me arrested for fraud. Who is in the right?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

First off, this is a purely civil matter even if he had a case, which he doesn't, so he can't have you arrested. The only thing he could do is dispute any credit card charge or potentially sue you in small claims court.

.

But if you have a clear cancellation policy for $15 a night after booking, then 2 rooms for 5 nights is $150 and then $15 more for the last night of the 2 room booking for a total of $165, unless my math is wrong...

.

Then you add in the cost of the room at $69 a night if that was the agreed on amount for a total of $138.

.

So unless I am missing something, you could have legally charged him $303 and been fully within your rights to do so.

.

With all that said, I see you as being entirely in the right here.

.

.

thanks