How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a call from a DA's office in Oregon because they had

Customer Question

I got a call from a DA's office in Oregon because they had busted an Identity Theft Ring. Among the papers was my "Do Not Remove From Office", 2009 tax return document from H&R Block prepared in Washington. The form has ALL of my personal data on it as well as the preparer's name and their office number. I called H&R Block twice. Both times I was told to hold while they transferred my call to the appropriate office and both times the recording told me to hold on the line and then hung up on me. Who do I go after for losing my documents and not even trying to let me know about it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you. Clearly, the appropiate party to sue, at least initially, will be H&R Block. What you need to know is how these documents were stored, and if they were kept in a negligent manner.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

If they were not properly stored (i.e., where only people with a "need to know" are given access) or were they just laid out where anyone could get access.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Once you sue them, you can engage in the discovery process and find out exactly what happened and what their process is.

Related Legal Questions