LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Child support debt was discharged in 1991. Renewed in 1993

Customer Question

Child support debt was discharged in 1991.
Renewed in 1993 for a enforceable period of 10 years which expired in 2004.
Case was reopened in August 2015.
My question is if the debt was discharged and enforceable period expired can he be
ordered to pay and pay interest that accrued when in fact no debt exist?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What do you mean the child support debt was discharged? In bankruptcy?

2. What was renewed----a money judgment obtained because of child support/spousal support arrears?

3. What case was re-opened?

4. Was the entire child support debt ever paid in full?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doug:1. Order to Show Cause re: order to pay child support - the Superior Court Judge signed a Minutes Order to Show Cause stating order discharged.2. The renewal was Renewal of Support & Support related orders (child support)3. A request was made for the Local Child Support Agency in Alameda County to enforce child support order that was discharged in Superior Court of California, County of Kern, Bakersfield, CA via Minutes Order to Show Cause.4. No. The judgement/debt was discharged. Reinstated in 1993 with an enforceability period of 10 years which expired 2004.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug