Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

The Alimony payments I've been making to my ex-wife was set

Customer Question

The Alimony payments I've been making to my ex-wife was set from October 2010 to October 2015... What are steps I need to take to make sure the Alimony garnishment ceases after the last payment is deducted from my paycheck in October 2015. My employer has nothing showing that the Alimony garnishment is suppose to end.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Do you have a copy of the order from the judge setting the duration of the payments?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir, I do have a copy of the order...
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then I would suggest giving a copy of that to your employer as it is a legally binding order from the judge and your employer can rely on that in terminating any payments once the last payment is made. They don't need anything additional from the court to stop taking out any deductions.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that. I was told via email by my employer payroll department, that they needed a statement from the court to stop that Alimony garnishment on the specified date. But, I will try what you suggested by taking a copy of the order to my payroll department to see if that works. I will do that today and hopefully have an answer by NLT tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

That order from the judge would be the statement that they can rely on. There is nothing more official than a formal order from a judge. Anything else would just be redundant.

.

I would also mention to the Payroll Dept that if any further payments are taken out after the last payment specified in the judge's order, you will hold them responsible if you have to sue to get it back. That should scare them enough once they get a copy of the order to not risk objecting.

.

.

thanks

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mr. Barrister
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.

.

.

thanks