Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a court date on Wednesday (9-09-15). I had surgery

Customer Question

I have a court date on Wednesday (9-09-15). I had surgery last Thursday to fix my hernia. What can I do if I am unable to make my court appearance if I can't drive two hours for court?
Thanks.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Normal protocol would be to file a motion to continue the case with the court clerk and get an order re-setting the case for a date in the future. But, that's not practical here since your court date is tomorrow.

Instead, you will need to contact the court clerk first thing tomorrow morning, explain the situation and ask if the judge will give you a continuance........IF you do not get an affirmation that the case has been continued, you'll have to be there OR face being held in contempt OR being defaulted (depending on what the court hearing is for/about).