LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My husband and I recently purchased a new vehicle, on July

Customer Question

My husband and I recently purchased a new vehicle, on July 29, 2015, from a dealership. We put a down payment of $10,000.00 in the form of a cashier's check made out to me, since we did not know which dealership we were going to purchase the vehicle from. When we signed the paperwork for the car the financial advisor was having issues with his printer and as he was dealing with that issue, I was signing the back of the check. I asked him where to place the check. He told me as he was motioning with his hand, to place it on his keyboard. He continued to have issues and called to a fellow coworker, who was our salesman, that he needed some paperwork from across the alley at his office. At their other dealership, his other office. The financial advisor continued to deal with the printer and continued with talking with me as our paperwork started to print. As we started to sign the paperwork , I looked up and saw him glance at the check and then kept giving us paperwork to sign. After we signed all the needed paperwork, we asked if "we needed a receipt" The financial advisor told us..."the paperwork we had ""was ALL the paperwork we needed" then we both looked at each other and said "okay great" . We didn't hear anything from the car dealership until August 1st. THREE DAYS AFTER WE PURCHASED the vehicle. The financial advisor called us over 18 times telling us that we never gave him the check. Asking us how we could do this to him...etc etc etc. We have cooperated with the general manager and tried to figure out what happened to the check. We have been getting harassed by the financial advisor. We have no idea where the check went, we went to the bank. I sat with the bank for several hours to figure this out. The bank tells me it went into an ATM machine, but they do not know whose account. The dealership called their insurance agent, who I cooperated with and gave a copy of the check to. They did an investigation, they could not figure it out either. Now the dealership is threatening to commence a legal proceeding to obtain a copy of the check. I gave the insurance company a copy. The dealership should talk to the financial advisor about not contacting us 3 days after they sold the vehicle to us. What should we do? I feel like we are being harassed a lot, regarding something that is not our fault. The financial advisor took advantage of us. I already gave the dealership a lot of information and have been helping them out all the time with this. What type of lawyer do I need and do I have any case? What types of laws protect me?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here.

In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What insurance company did you give a copy of the cashier's check to?

2. Have you reported the check as stolen to the police?

3. How did the financial adviser take advantage of you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug