Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Can a parent take ownership of a vehicle that is titled in a

Customer Question

Can a parent take ownership of a vehicle that is titled in a 16 year old name? I purchased a vehicle for my grandson; titled the vehicle in his name; his mother has added him to her insurance policy. She wants him to sign the title of the vehicle over to her so that she would be the sole owner (and can do as she wants with the vehicle, sell it)... Can his mother take ownership of the vehicle without his permission/signature on the title (change the title so that it is in her name not his)? We live in the state of Georgia where it is legal for a 16 year old to own a vehicle (have the title in his name).
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. It is a gift to your grandson, and it is in his name and therefore, he would need to agree to have it titled in her name only. There is no law mandating he relinquish his gift to anyone.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you