Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have two questions. It appears my girlfriend and I are

Customer Question

Hello. I have two questions. It appears my girlfriend and I are going to dissolve our relationship soon. We currently own a vehicle together. The title has both our names and is free and clear of any liens. I am just going to let her have the vehicle.
However I am paying the insurance for the vehicle. I want to give her a two month grace period where I will pay for the insurance and then cancel the insurance where should be responsible for insurance herself. If she is the driver and has an accident and
If the vehicle is uninsured or if she does pay for the insurance, can I still be liable if my name is ***** ***** the title? The second question is she is currently borrowing my car (that has only my name on the title with a lien). What legal action do I have
to recover the vehicle if she refuses to return it?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

Yes, the title owners are equally responsible for accidents. I suggest you draft a written agreement that you will Title the car to her by signing the title over to her and that on such and such a date she is solely and legally responsible for the insurance from that day forward.

Once your name is ***** ***** title and the transfer made with the DMV she is solely responsible for any accidents.

If she has another vehicle available to her, I suggest, if she does not return the car you own solely then you file a police report for a stolen car. I suggest that you will also want to put it in writing that you are requesting the return of the vehicle and describe it and that she no longer has your permission to have the vehicle.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you