Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am being suedfor credit card debt. They have not produced

Customer Question

I am being suedfor credit card debt. They have not produced any signed documents(agreements) that I might have signed . Will a notarized signature from a officer due? Or is this like subprime mtg. with out prom.notes?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Generally speaking, the creditor has to prove the debt by preponderance of the evidence which us 51% or over.

Now, they can and do lose the original contract. IF they do, then the creditor can attempt other means to prove the debt, which includes a signed affidavit from an agent who worked with you on their behalf, or their actual testimony, as well as a history of payments (which help to show that some kind of agreement was entered into). This includes the notes.

So yes, they can still attempt to prove the debt by other means even if the original contract is lost.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.