socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

VENTURA COUNTY, CA. JUST GOT A JURY DUTY NOTICE OF OCT. 5TH.

Customer Question

I AM IN VENTURA COUNTY, CA. JUST GOT A JURY DUTY NOTICE FOR WEEK OF OCT. 5TH.
MY NUMBER IS ***** IT SEEMS LIKE A HIGH NUMBER TO ME. I WAS PLANNING TO POSTPONE DUTY UNTIL WEEK OF DEC. 22, SINCE IT IS THE BEGINNING OF HOLIDAY WEEK AND I WOULD THINK NOT MANY CASES COME TO TRIAL THAT PERIOD. BUT WITH A CURRENT NUMBER OF 76, IS IT BETTER JUST TO KEEP IT AS IS ?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

The number 76 is not high. Many, many jurors are excused, and the court issues as many notices as it believes will be required to provide a qualified jury pool. You're correct in your assumption that a holiday week is not likely to be one with many trials -- but, it's also not a week where the court will issue many notices.

The only "sure-fire" means of avoiding jury duty is to show up, and when you are asked questions by the attorneys or judge in the case, you say something that is likely to disqualify you -- such as: "I think I've already made up my mind about the case." The court cannot put you on a jury panel, if you have unequivocally stated that you've already decided on the verdict.

Note: I'm not encouraging you to falsely testify as to your opinion in court. In fact, I think that jury duty is a very beneficial experience (having been on several juries myself). But, if you're betting on a high jury number to getting you out of serving jury duty, you are making a mistake, because that just won't work.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Do you need further clarification, or do you have what you need?